1. Wireless card (some wireless card cannot configure tx-power)
2. Wavemon (apt-get install wavemon)
Step by step Increase Wifi Signal Strength(TxPower) on Kali Linux:
1. Open up our terminal and type
and make sure your wireless network already detected and up.
2. Now let’s check our wireless card default tx-power by running this command
the default tx-power of my wireless card is 20 dBm.
3. When we check the default signal quality through wavemon,
4. To change the tx-power we must turn off our wireless interface by running
IFCONFIG WLAN0 DOWN
and then change the regional to BO (Bolivia) which in that country they allow the use of 1000 mW tx-power
IW REG SET BO
turn on the wireless interface again
IFCONFIG WLAN0 UP
5. Now we can check again our wireless card status by running
if the tx-power already changed, let’s check our wavemon, and see the difference.
6. We can set up our wireless card into specific channel by running
IWCONFIG WLAN0 CHANNEL 8
or we can also directly change the tx-power using this command
IWCONFIG WLAN0 TXPOWER 30
1. Some problems may occur when we set higher than default tx-rate; such as:
- overheating of the power amplifier chip and the card which will cause lower efficiency and more data errors;
- overdriving the amplifier which will cause more data errors;
power usage for the card and this may overload the default power supply
of the board that the card is located on resulting in voltage drop and
reboot or excessive temperatures for the board.
Hope it’s useful